If your business operates in a specific geographic area, then you need to make sure that your business contact information is listed properly in relevant local directories. This is important for your Canadian local SEO results on Google and other search engines.
The guys at MOZ created a nice infographic that summarizes the Canadian local SEO ecosystem. This infographic shows how directories share and verify your business’ contact information.
Having your business information appear in different directories on the Internet, will be used by Google for “citation” purposes. In other words, to verify that your business is real.
Before you begin submitting your business details to local directories, make sure you have all contact information ready.
Important – make sure to use the exact same contact information consistently across all directory submissions.
Follow this list to gather your contact information:
- Business Name:
- Tagline (3-6 words to describe your company):
- Company Contact Person:
- Street Address, Suite, City, Province, Postal Code:
- Local Phone Number:
- Toll Free # (if any):
- Fax# (if any):
- Website Address:
- Email Address :
- Brands you sell / use (if any):
- Products and Services (comma separated) :
- Year Established:
- Hours of Operation:
- Languages Spoken:
- Payment Methods Accepted:
- Company logo: (each directory may ask for different logo size, so have several sizes handy)
- Service Areas (cities / neighborhoods you serve):
- Images (pictures of your shop, work and products) :
- Videos (upload your videos to YouTube and have the video URLs handy for directories):
- Business Categories (at least one is required):
- Short description of your business – no more than 200 characters
- Long description of your business – length varies by website